If I could go back 30 years and give myself a few pointers, what would I say?
I would imagine the older Lu sitting down with the younger Lu over a cup of coffee, explaining ten simple life hints that will make her life abundantly easier.
- Tomorrow you can start over – Each day is a new start. No matter how bad your day was, count it all as joy. Tomorrow is a fresh beginning. Tough decisions, challenging disappointments, and frustrating failures the day before always look better in the morning.
- Say no – It is okay to say “no.” Practice all the time! Feeling like you always have to say “yes” will be detrimental to your wellbeing. Protect yourself with the word “no” and use it as often as you want to. Don’t worry, there will be plenty of things you will say “yes” to and you will enjoy them more because you didn’t agree to everything.
- Be nice to yourself – Be kind to yourself. Treat yourself with the same level of consideration, compassion, and thoughtfulness you show others.
- Some people are not going to like you – Some people are not going to like you and that’s okay. Invest your time in those who do like you. There will be many. Enjoy each one.
- You are going to make a lot of mistakes, and it’s okay – Mistakes are going to be common. Get used to it and embrace it. The sooner you learn to deal with your mistakes, the better. Apologize, accept responsibility, and then move on!
- Your attitude will determine how good your life will be – Many things are going to happen that you will not like. Many things are going to change. Many disappointments are going to come your way. Your attitude will determine your level of success and joy. There can be many changes but which attitude you select will remain. Choose wisely every day.
- Be you – Just be you, and enjoy yourself. You have a lot of years and time ahead to be with you. Don’t try to be someone else. Enjoy who you are. Like yourself. You’re one of a kind, and you’re pretty special.
- Begin each day anticipating what God will do and end each day thanking God for what He did – Start off your day with acknowledging God’s grace, mercy, forgiveness, and love. Expect Him to be wherever you’re going before you get there. Look for Him in everything. Rest in His direction. Revel in His presence. And remember to thank God for all He does every day.
- You can’t have it all – That’s right, you can’t have it all so be careful what you choose. What you can have is God’s best for you.
- God will come through – Know that God will come through, hold your hand, and guide you through every step.
PS – I’m not sure if younger Lu would listen to what older Lu had to say, but at least it’s worth a shot!